Ankle Pain Podiatrists St. Louis, MO
Your ankle plays an important role in maintaining your body’s balance and stability. The ankle is made up of bones that are supported by muscles and ligaments. When your ankle is injured or you experience pain, it can be difficult to get around. What may seem like an insignificant injury can lead to a more serious ankle disorder in the future.
Ankle disorders can result from bone, muscle, or soft tissue damage. Common ankle disorders, like sprains and tendonitis, are just one reason why the ankle is the most frequently injured joint in the body. If you are experiencing pain, the ankle doctors at Missouri Foot & Ankle can develop a plan to treat your condition. Contact us today!
Causes and Symptoms of Ankle Disorders
The severity of these ankle disorders can vary and have different causes including:
- Excess strain and overuse
- Flat feet
- Lack of leg and foot muscle conditioning
- Bone spurs in the heel rubbing on the Achilles tendon (the tendon that connects your calf muscles to your heel)
It is best to see a podiatrist as soon as symptoms are noticed. A podiatrist can help relieve ankle pain and treat the disorder before it gets worse.
Common ankle disorder symptoms include:
- Difficulty moving the ankle
- Inability to put any weight on the ankle
- Difficulty walking
More serious conditions can also be accompanied by:
- Worsening pain along the back of the heel
- Thickening of the Achilles tendon
- Swelling that gets worse with physical activity
- Loud popping sounds at the back of the heel (if this occurs, it could indicate a ruptured tendon and you should seek emergency medical attention)
Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment will depend on the type of ankle disorder and how long you have been experiencing symptoms. These treatment methods may be singular or combined, but the primary goal is always to eliminate pain and improve mobility. With more severe ankle issues, conservative methods may not be the answer and surgical treatment is necessary. It is important to have a knowledgeable ankle doctor diagnose the condition and determine the right treatment method for your condition as soon as possible.
Our treatment methods may include:
- Changing activities
- Applying ice or heat
- Walking boots
- Braces or orthoses
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Physical therapy